Patrick Lamb | Monday June 23, 2014
I ran across an interesting article in Attorney at Work, Trends in Legal Pricing and Project Management. The article reported on the recent P3 Conference offered by the Legal Marketing Association. The three P’s are pricing, project Management and process improvement. Having just written a book that covers these...
Jordan Furlong | Thursday May 29, 2014
Okay, I admit: that was a pure linkbait headline. Not quite as bad as 17 Heartwarming Photos That Will Restore Your Faith In Humanity, but still, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to draw in people who might be thinking (hoping?) that I’d given up on innovation in the...
Bruce MacEwen | Sunday April 27, 2014
I recently wrote about the depressing prospects for graduates of all but the top ten or twenty law schools (Two Law Grad Markets). And yes, these were statistical generalizations, and the experience of specific individuals with particular skills and backgrounds will always be different, pro and con. But...
- Tech test could give law firms an incentive to make efficiency gainsFirst they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they attack you. Then you win. As a legal technology trainer, I'm eagerly anticipating the winning that should accompany the launch of the Suffolk Flaherty Legal Technology Audit. For more than a year, I’ve been working…
- Disruption, eruption or interruption: 3 views of change in lawThe New York Times described the challenge of understanding changes in atmospheric measurement “you have to know what’s happening before you know why it’s happening.” Living through a change like we’re experiencing in the legal market requires us to come up with appropriate metaphor for…
- Change afoot in American civil justice systemMy husband is a cattle and sheep rancher, and during the 36 years of our marriage, I have learned a few things—for example, in the spring, livestock can overgraze on sweet new grass to the point of killing themselves. It is called foundering. Due process in the American civil justice…
- Instead of telling everyone you’re the ‘Best & Brightest,’ listen more to the people in...I really, really wish lawyers would stop using the expression “Best & Brightest” to describe themselves. For example, the "Recruiting the Best & Brightest" page at Covington & Burling's website. When I was a college freshman in 1976, the first book we were assigned…
- Justices Block Virginia Same-Sex MarriagesAs expected, the U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday delayed enforcement of a federal appeals court ruling that struck down Virginia's ban on same-sex marriages.
- Apple Loses Bid to Collect Attorney Fees From SamsungJudge Lucy Koh ruled that Samsung raised reasonable defenses to the trade dress claims at issue, making fee shifting inappropriate.
- Lawyers Playing Key Roles Amid Unrest in FergusonLawyers from across the United States are traveling to Ferguson, Mo., to serve as legal observers, represent arrestees, educate demonstrators on their rights and perform a host of other legal services.
- In Ferguson, Eric Holder Reflects on Personal HistoryAttorney General Eric Holder Jr. met with community groups and law enforcement Wednesday in Ferguson, Mo., urging cooperation to reduce tension after days of clashes between police and protesters.
- Law school graduates give their professors an A, failing grades for job placementIt’s final exam time, and this year, law schools are receiving a passing grade... even after struggling on the “job placement” portion of the test.
- Macy’s to shell out $650K, hire outside consultant in racial profiling settlementThe AG’s office began investigation into Macy’s security policies following over a dozen complaints of wrongful detention and racial profiling, all of which occurred at the company’s flagship store in New York City.
- Maximizing a whistleblower case, part 2In this installment, they explain how they interface with government regulators, what advice they have for potential whistleblowers and their thoughts on internal reporting programs
- Vantage Cloud mitigates compliance risksThe cloud-based solution by Actiance works to help companies simplify enterprise communication