Patrick Lamb | Monday June 23, 2014
I ran across an interesting article in Attorney at Work, Trends in Legal Pricing and Project Management. The article reported on the recent P3 Conference offered by the Legal Marketing Association. The three P’s are pricing, project Management and process improvement. Having just written a book that covers these...
Jordan Furlong | Thursday May 29, 2014
Okay, I admit: that was a pure linkbait headline. Not quite as bad as 17 Heartwarming Photos That Will Restore Your Faith In Humanity, but still, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to draw in people who might be thinking (hoping?) that I’d given up on innovation in the...
Bruce MacEwen | Sunday April 27, 2014
I recently wrote about the depressing prospects for graduates of all but the top ten or twenty law schools (Two Law Grad Markets). And yes, these were statistical generalizations, and the experience of specific individuals with particular skills and backgrounds will always be different, pro and con. But...
- Meet the 2014 Legal RebelsThe ABA Journal is pleased to present Legal Rebels 2014, with nine new innovators named in this year’s project. Read short profiles of each Legal Rebel in the September issue of the magazine. And throughout September, look for full profiles at LegalRebels.com. You’ll meet: • A…
- Tech test could give law firms an incentive to make efficiency gainsFirst they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they attack you. Then you win. As a legal technology trainer, I'm eagerly anticipating the winning that should accompany the launch of the Suffolk Flaherty Legal Technology Audit. For more than a year, I’ve been working…
- Disruption, eruption or interruption: 3 views of change in lawThe New York Times described the challenge of understanding changes in atmospheric measurement “you have to know what’s happening before you know why it’s happening.” Living through a change like we’re experiencing in the legal market requires us to come up with appropriate metaphor for…
- Change afoot in American civil justice systemMy husband is a cattle and sheep rancher, and during the 36 years of our marriage, I have learned a few things—for example, in the spring, livestock can overgraze on sweet new grass to the point of killing themselves. It is called foundering. Due process in the American civil justice…
- Appeals Court Silent on Texas Abortion Clinic LawA Texas law imposing new regulations on abortion clinics fell into Labor Day limbo Monday after a federal appeals court made no response to an urgent plea from the state to let the statute take effect.
- Ninth Circuit Ratchets Up Oracle's Copyright Damages Against SAPThe court upped damages to $356.7 million but won't allow Oracle to argue for hypothetical license fees iif it instead opts for a new trial.
- Detroit Bankruptcy Trial Steps into Uncharted TerritoryThe city's proposed plan to emerge from the biggest municipal bankruptcy is fraught with complexities. Among the issues to be argued by several Am Law firms during the six-week trial, which begins Tuesday, is whether securities holders insured by Syncora Guarantee Inc. are getting their fair share.
- Federal Judge Dismisses Claims Ford and IBM Aided Apartheid"That these plaintiffs are left without relief in an American court is regrettable," Judge Shira Scheindlin said, but she was "bound to follow" recent interpretations of the Alien Tort Statute by the U.S. Supreme Court and the Second Circuit "no matter what my personal view of the law may be."
- JPMorgan breach brings bank cybersecurity into focusThe damage done by the JPMorgan breach is unclear, but the question remains: How safe are major financial institutions?
- Groupon class loses certification bidThe class had been seeking retribution for the company’s alleged failure to pay overtime both before and after its initial public offering in 2011.
- Google wins attorney fees in patent troll battleU.S. District Judge Rodney Gilstrap has awarded Google $1.3 million in attorney’s fees.
- Women GCs among those to attend DLA Piper’s third Global Women’s Leadership SummitDLA Piper’s third Global Women’s Leadership Summit will bring together female in-house counsel, business leaders and lawyers from DLA Piper.